Que. 2. Read the following passage carefully.
(1) As the family finally sets off from home after many arguments there is a moment of lull as the car takes off. “Alright, so where are we going for dinner now?” asks the one at the driving wheel. What follows is a chaos as multiple voices make as many suggestions.
(2) By the time order is restored and a decision is arrived at, tempers have risen, feelings injured and there is at least one person grumbling.
(3) Twenty years ago, you would step out of home, decision of meal and venue already made with no arguments or opposition and everybody looked forward to the meal with equal enthusiasm. The decision was made by the head of the family and the others fell in line. Today every member of the family has a say in every decision which also promotes a sense of togetherness and bonding.
(4) We empower our kids to take their own decisions from a very early age. We ask them the cuisine they prefer, the movie they want to see, the holiday they wish to go on and the subjects they wish to study.
(5) It's a closely connected world out there where children consult and guide each other. A parent's well meaning advice can sound like nothing more than unnecessary preaching. How then do we reach our children through all the conflicting views and make the voice of reason be heard? Children today question choices and prefer to go with the flow.
(6) What then is the best path to take? I would say the most important thing one can do is to listen. Listen to your children and their silences. Ensure that you keep some time aside for them, insist that they share their stories with you. Step into their world. It is not as complicated as it sounds; just a daily half an hour of the quality time would do the trick.
2.1 On the basis of your reading of the above passage, answer the following questions in 30-40 words each.
(a)' Write one advantage and one disadvantage of allowing every family member to be part of the decision making process.
ANS. One advantage is that decision-making process promotes a sense of togetherness and bonding.
Disadvantage – It sometimes creates grumbling and confliction.
(b) In today's world, what are parents asking their kids ?
ANS. In today’s world, we empower our kids to take their own decisions from a very early age.
(c) Which two pieces of advice does the writer give to the parents ?
ANS. The two pieces of advice
(i) Listen to your children and their silences.
(ii) Spent your time with your children and share your stories with you.
(d) The passage supports the parents. How far do you agree with the author's views ? Support your view with a reason.
ANS. Yes, I agree that this passage supports the parents because twenty years before the decision was made by the head of the family and it promotes a sense of togetherness and bonding I agree with this view because children do not have the ability to take their own decisions properly. Sometimes it may he wrong.
2.2 On the basis of your reading of the above passage, answer the following:
(a) The synonym of 'hurt' as given in paragraph 2 is __injured __.
(b) The word which means the same as 'a style or method of cooking’ in paragraph 4 is :
(i) Cuisine (ii) Gourmet (iii) Gastric (iv) Science
(c) The antonym of agreeable’ as given in paragraph 5 is__conflicting ___.
(d) The antonym of 'simple' as given in paragraph 6 is
(i) difficult (ii) complicated (iii) easy (iv) tricky